If you have been thinking about putting your house on the market, prepare for a spring that will be flooded with buyers looking in a low-inventory market. Homebuyers want to buy fast before rising interest rates and home prices make it less affordable to own, which will most likely make for multiple, competing offers on the homes that are available.
This may be the best time to leverage the equity you have built in your home, and see what kind of return on your investment you can get, by putting it on the market.
Each house has its own story and the process of selling real estate is constantly evolving. Having a realtor who understands the uniqueness of each house, and who has a track record of success is critical to getting the most money with the least amount of hassle. To help explain our process and guide you through our selling strategy, we have put together this seller’s guide with some great resources that will help you along the way.
If you are curious about the current value of your house, ask us about a free, comprehensive neighborhood analysis. We look forward to answering any questions you have, and making this a successful experience for you!
How to Sell a House
1. Why are you selling? This helps us understand your needs: ideal closing date, desired net proceeds, where you want to move and more so we can help you with the entire process of selling your home.
2. Walk through: We always walk through your home, take notes, and learn about your home so we can help maximize the good things and manage any possible liabilities.
3. CMA [Comparative Market Analysis]: We take our notes and information from the tax records to compare your home to other homes on the market based on size, beds/baths, finishes, schools, location, and more to give you the price range that the market is likely to bring you in your desired time frame.
4. Contract and disclosures: At this time we sign the listing contract allowing us to represent you in the sale of your home. There are a lot of other forms and disclosures to sign, but don’t worry, we’ll walk you through all of these and answer any questions you have.
5. Pre-sale consulting and referrals: We have relationships with great vendors for any contracting, landscaping, staging, or architecture needs that will help your house sell.
6. HD video tour & professional photos: Many of our listings feature full HD video tours + professional photography.
7. Marketing: We work very hard to give your home as much posting exposure as possible. See attached Marketing section.
8. Open houses + showings: We’ll put a lock-box on your home so any one of the other 5,000 Realtors in the Portland area can bring their qualified buyers to see your home. If you choose, we also hold open houses and host broker tours as well.
9. Offer to purchase: When an offer comes in we present it to you, explaining the pros and cons of the offer. We also reach out to all agents that have shown the property to see if we can get more offers on your house.
10. Negotiation: In response to an offer you can: accept, counter offer, or reject – we’ll help you through this by establishing rapport with the other agent to better understand the buyer they represent.
11. Acceptance: Once the offer is accepted the buyers will have the property inspected, and they might request repairs but you are not required contractually to make any repairs. We negotiate repairs and credits for you to help you keep as much money as possible.
12. Appraisal: The lender has the home appraised and then sends the loan documents to title.
13. Closing: Once you sign the closing documents with the title company, the bank funds the loan and the deed is recorded in the new owners’ name.
14. Congratulations: You’ve just sold your home!