Here are my top 5 tips to sell your house in 2009.
1. Condition: Your home has to look good from the street and make sure the entry to your home is spotless. Even with a limited budget you can clean up and de-clutter your home.
2. Price: depending on where you live the market is flat or down. You need to price in front of your competition.
3. Marketing: Listings with video and photo tours get 40% more views. All my listings have HD video tours. Make sure the home is featured on listing syndicators and on blogs and in the RMLS. Open houses and Brokers opens are a great way to get people in the door and get good feedback.
4. Availabilty: Vacant is the easiest to show, Call 1st makes sense if you still live in the home, Appointment Only will mean less showings so only do this if you have to.
5. Willingness to Negotiate: First time buyers are going to need help with closing costs and will want all the appliances. Don’t kill a deal over a washer and dryer.
Getting real: If you want to sell for a price that isn’t realistic in this market then you need to rent out your home or stay put for a while but make sure you’re getting the opinion of a realtor before you make that choice.